What does this do?
The SonicStage® v3.1 application is a music management system in which you can record your CDs, manage your digital music collection, burn CD-R/RWs, and transfer music to your Sony® portable player.
Enhancements over previous versions of the OpenMG™ Jukebox and SonicStage® software:
Notes about the SonicStage Version 3.1 software
- New SonicStage software Ver 3.1 feature: Ripping in MP3 format:
- Format: MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3
- Bit Rate: 320kbps/256kbps/224kbps/192kbps/160kbps/128kbps/112kbps/96kbps
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz
- The "My Library" interface is improved. Additional track information is displayed, including release year and composer. Index columns (e.g. Artist, Genre, Track Length, etc.) can be added, deleted, or re-ordered.
- The Album/track editing feature (previously "My Compilation Album") has been renamed "Playlist" and now incorporates drag-and-drop functionality.
- Option to specify format and bit rate in one step when transferring track(s) to a portable player.
- Tracks recorded from microphone or analog inputs on a Hi-MD Walkman® recorder can be transferred to SonicStage® software and saved in WAV (PCM) format.
- SonicStage® software automatically launches when an ATRAC Audio Device (ex: Network Walkman player) is connected to the computer via a USB connection.
- In SonicStage® software Version 3.1, tracks stored in My Library are automatically sorted based on artist name and album name registered to each track. If you have been using an earlier version of SonicStage® software, the structure of the albums stored in My Library may change when upgrading to SonicStage® software Version 3.1. For example, if the album name registered to a track in an earlier version was "no title" it may be sorted into a new album for all tracks with an album name of "no title." For details, please consult the SonicStage® software Ver 3.1 Help File.
- The default setting for CD Recording is ATRAC3plus 64 kbps.
- The "Create MP3 CD" function can only be used with MP3 files residing in My Library. SonicStage® software does not convert ATRAC or other file formats to MP3.
- Track information (Artist name, Title, Genre, Album Title, etc.) obtained from copy-controlled CDs released by Sony BMG Music Entertainment cannot be edited using SonicStage® software.
- The following features of previous versions are not available in SonicStage® software Ver 3.1: EQ (equalizer), Effect (vocal canceller), Visualizer, encoding (ripping) CDs in WMA or OpenMG Audio PCM format, ripping CDs directly to connected portable devices, CD back-up function, and Analyzer Display (level meter, spectrum, waveform).
- The application language will automatically match your OS language (English and French only).
- IMPORTANT: You must have your Network Portable Audio product serial number available in order to download this software.
- IMPORTANT: Please ensure that the computer does not go into suspend, sleep, or hibernation mode during the download.
- The SonicStage® v3.1 application upgrade is a two part process. First you will download the "SonicStage Installer" application. Then, you will execute the SonicStage Installer application. The SonicStage Installer application will identify the components you need, and will proceed to download and install those components.
- This is an upgrade program, therefore the installed file will differ depending on your computer environment (the installed file size: approximately 26-74MB).
- As a guideline, the expected download time is approximately 4-10 minutes when connected at 1Mbps (DSL or cable modem) and 1.5-3 hours when connected at 56kbps (dial-up modem).
- Before running this program, it is recommended that you transfer ('check-in') all tracks that had been previously transferred ('checked-out') to your portable device/media.
- If you were previously using SonicStage® software Ver 2.x/1.5, it is recommended that you backup your music files using the SonicStage® Backup Tool before running this program.
- If you were previously using OpenMG Jukebox Ver.2.2 / 2.0, it is recommended that you backup your music files using the OpenMG Jukebox Backup Tool before running this program.
- When upgrading from SonicStage® or OpenMG Jukebox software, the previous version will be overwritten.
- For Microsoft® Windows® 2000 and Windows® XP operating systems only: During the installation of this upgrade and to use the SonicStage® v3.1 software, make sure that you are logged in as the Administrator or as a user with Administrative rights.
- To ensure that no other program interferes with the installation, save all work and close all other programs. The Taskbar should be clear of applications before proceeding.
- It is highly recommended to print out these instructions as a reference during the installation process.
- This utility is intended to upgrade the following applications to the SonicStage v3.1 software:
- SonicStage Simple Burner Version 1.x
- SonicStage Versions 2.x/1.x
- OpenMG™ Jukebox Versions 2.x/1.x
- System Requirements
- Applicable Operating Systems (manufacturer installed):
- Microsoft® Windows® XP MCE 2005
- Microsoft® Windows® XP MCE 2004
- Microsoft® Windows® XP MCE
- Microsoft® Windows® XP Pro
- Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
- Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Pro (Service Pack 3 or later)
- Microsoft® Windows® Me
- Microsoft® Windows® 98SE
NOTE: Both English and French Operating Systems are supported.
- Computer: IBM PC/AT or compatible
- CPU: Pentium® III 450MHz or higher
- Hard disk drive space: 400MB or more (the amount space will vary according to Windows version and the number of music files stored on the hard disk drive)
- RAM: 128MB or more
- Display: High Color (16bit) or higher, 800 x 600 dots or better (1024 x 768 dots or better is recommended)
- Other: CD drive (capable of digital playback by WDM), Sound Board, USB ports (supports USB, previously called USB 1.1), Internet connection (for web registration, online music service access, and CDDB access), Windows Media Player (version 7.0 or higher for playing WMA files).
- The following system types are not supported:
- Operating systems other than those indicated above
- Personally constructed PCs or operating systems
- An environment that is an upgrade of the original manufacturer-installed operating system
- Multi-boot environment
- Multi-monitor environment
- Macintosh® operating system environment
Download and Installation Instructions
- Connect to the Internet, exit all applications, and disconnect your portable player. If the Simple Burner or OpenMG Jukebox icon is displayed on the task tray, right click on the icon(s) and select Exit.
- Click the External Link above or click here to download the SonicStage v3.1 Application Upgrade Installer Program SonicStageInstaller.exe (697 KB) to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference).
NOTE: If the download does not immediately start, please check across the top of your browser for a bar containing the message "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options..." This message may appear on computers that have installed Windows XP Service Pack 2. This is normal. If this message is displayed, click the information bar and select "Download File" to continue with the download.
- Go to the directory where the Upgrade Installer Program was downloaded, and double-click the program to begin the installation process. This program will download only the necessary components needed to upgrade to SonicStage 3.1.
- Click OK to begin downloading the needed files. Please wait while the necessary files are downloaded. This may take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours, depending on the components needed, your Internet connection speed and computer environment.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the Installation process.
NOTE: Although the previous version of OpenMG Jukebox or SonicStage will be overwritten, your music files will be maintained. When prompted to save your current database, choose "YES" and your music files will be saved.
- When the installation process is complete, restart the computer.
The SonicStage v3.1 application upgrade process is complete after the computer restarts.
Installation Confirmation (Optional)
To verify that the upgrade has installed successfully, please follow these steps to check the version number of the SonicStage application.
- Start the SonicStage program.
- At the SonicStage program menubar, click Help and then click "About SonicStage."
- Check the version number listed. If "SonicStage Version 3.1.00.03290" is displayed, the upgrade has completed successfully.
NOTE: If the SonicStage version is not "SonicStage Version 3.1.00.03290", please download the SonicStage v3.1 Application Upgrade Installer program from the Support website again and then follow the instructions above to complete the SonicStage v3.1 application upgrade installation.